Glenveagh National Park

Availability: Jan - Dec

Address: Churchill , Letterkenny , Co. Donegal
Tel: +353 74 (0)76 100253

Glenveagh National Park is one of six national parks in Ireland, encompassing some 16,000 acres in the heart of the Derryveagh Mountains.

Glenveagh National Park is open all year round.

Castle, Visitor Centre and Gardens open every day apart from Good Friday and the Christmas period.

Glenveagh Visitor Centre

The Glenveagh Visitor Centre is located on the northern end of Lough Veagh, near the edge of the National Park. Its award-winning design incorporates a living heather roof mimicking the surrounding landscape causing minimum disturbance. The extensive displays contained within provide an introduction to the parks natural and built history as well as providing information on walking trails, events etc. Guides on duty will also be happy to provide visitors with information about the park and surrounding area as well as tickets for the park buses.

The visitor centre provides the following facilities:

Tourist Information

Car Parking

Audio Visual Displays

Bus Tickets


Baby changing facilities

Restaurant (Open at Easter and then June to September only)

Glenveagh Castle

Glenveagh Castle is a 19th century castellated mansion and was built between 1867 and 1873. Its construction in a remote mountain setting was inspired by the Victorian idyll of a romantic highland retreat. It was designed by John Townsend Trench, a cousin of its builder and first owner, John George Adair, with whom he had been raised in Co. Laois. The designer appears to have imitated the style of earlier Irish Tower-houses adding an air of antiquity to the castle. The building stone chose was granite, plentiful in Donegal but difficult to work and allowing for little detail. The forbidding architecture of the castle is quickly forgotten amidst the varied comforts within. Henry McIlhenny, the last owner of the castle, served the Philadelphia Museum of Art as Curator of Decorative Arts and his expertise in this field is evident throughout the castle. Through time, each room acquired a different character, some roughly in keeping with the period of the house, others freely inventive. Few of the great houses of Ireland are preserved in this condition, with their original furnishings, and in Glenveagh Castle one catches a glimpse of a lifestyle belonging to an earlier age. Access to the castle is by guided tour which last approx. 30 mins

Glenveagh Castle Tearooms

The tearoom is located in the castle courtyard and open daily from 11am to 5.30pm. Serving delicious homebaked scones, cakes, breads, soups and sandwiches, it is the prefect place to relax and take a break during your visit to the beautiful gardens or after your tour of the castle.

  • Highlights
  • Ireland National Park
  • Visitor Centre
  • Walking Trails
  • Glenveagh Gardens
  • 19th Century Castle