The Donegal Gaeltacht region is an area in Donegal (Dún na nGall) where you will find the purest forms of both language & tradition - Irish song, dance & folklore! It is a unique experience to hear this ancient language being spoken by the locals.
Five sayings you will find handy when you are in the Gaeltacht region - give it a try & surprise our locals!
- Dia duit (Hello)
- Slán (Goodbye)
- Caidé mar atá tú? (How are you?)
Response; Tá mé go mhaith! (I am good)
Response; Tá tart orm (I am thirsty), Tá ocras orm (I am hungry)
- Go raibh maith agat! (Thank you very much)
- Cé mhéad? (how much)
Click on the image to view video about Tory Island / Oileán Thoraí © Stories from Ireland's Wild Atlantic Way
Some interesting Facts:
• We have the largest geographical Gaeltacht in the Country!
• The Irish speaking (as Gaeilge) population in Donegal is 23,346 (2016 Census)
• 26% of Donegal is the Gaeltacht region (1,502km2)!
• The term ‘Gaeltacht’ describes the Irish regions in Ireland where the Irish language is, or was until recently, the primary spoken language of the majority of the community
• Gaoth Dobhair is the largest Gaeltacht parish in Ireland, which is home to regional studios of RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta!
Images © Údarás na Gaeltachta
Key to map
Please select categories you wish to view on the map.