Oral tradition has it that the first house was built on this site in 1711 by the Babington family. The Bartons expanded and remodelled the house in the early 1800s and the Perry\s, who moved from Bunlin, Milford in 1965, renovated and added to the buildings. The Walled Garden and mature trees date from the early Barton era. A plantation of 15 acres of broadleaf woodland was established in 2003. There are four areas for picnicking.