Murvagh (Murbhach) Blue Flag Beach is located close to the village of Laghey on the south western coast of County Donegal.
Murvagh Beach is a long shallow beach. Behind the beach are sand dunes, designated a Special Area of Conservation (SAC), and beyond them lies the lovely Murvagh Forest, which has trails.
This makes it an excellent destination for walking and exploring on a family day out, as well as a popular place for a picnic. It is also a good beach for bathing, being located in a sheltered position, protected from the strongest sea currents.
Murvagh beach operates the An Taisce Pack it in Pack it out programme, the ethos of the programme is to “Leave no Trace” so beach users are asked to take their rubbish home with them and dispose of it in a responsible manner.
Under the PII PIO programme Donegal County Council does not provide litter bins or recycling facilities at this beach.
There is a car park behind the beach, which is reached on a path over the sand dunes. From the car park there are spectacular views towards Crownarad and Sliabh Liag. There are toilets located in the car park.
The nearest village from the beach is the small village of Laghy, which has a few shops and restaurants. The larger town of Donegal is about 5 kilometres from the beach and has many facilities to cater for visitor’s needs.
Beach Lifeguards Lifeguards will be on duty on this beach - from June until September.
Hours of Work: 12.00pm - 18.30pm
Emergency Contact Number: Dial 999
Flags: Red/Yellow Flag - It is safe to swim and lifeguards are on duty. Swim between the flags. Red Flag - High Hazard. It is dangerous to enter the water. Lifeguards are on duty. No Flag - No Lifeguards on duty.
All beach users are asked to take care when at the beach, and in particular:
• Never swim alone - Or surf, dive or sail unless there is someone with you.
• Always engage in water activities with family or friends.
• Tell someone when you will be back.
• Note Locations of Life Saving Equipment - Before entering the water familiarize yourself with the location of lifebuoys.
• Report Missing or Damaged Lifesaving Equipment - If you find that lifebuoys are missing or vandalized, please contact the Blue Flag Co-ordinator, Donegal County Council, Central Laboratory, The Kube, Magheranan, Letterkenny. (074) 91 22787 or (074) 91 76276. Email - email@example.com
Check out also: www.blueflagireland.org