A very extensive sandy beach located on the western side of Lough Swilly between Rathmullan and Fanad Head and has fabulous views towards the Inishowen Peninsula. The best views can be best seen from the viewpoint on the Knockalla coast drive.
It gently slopes towards the Atlantic ocean and is located in a Natural Habitat Area. The beach at Portsalon can be reached by travelling north east in the R246 from Carrowkeel to Portsalon.
Ballymastocker Bay is also known as Portsalon Beach. This is a truly spectacular Blue Flag beach located on the Fanad Peninsula in north county Donegal. It was once voted the second most beautiful in the World by readers of the Observer Magazine (pipped to the post by some horrible looking tropical paradise on the Seychelles with lovely palm trees!).
On the right day it isnt difficult to see why this beach has gained such accolades. The perfect golden sand here stretches for over a mile towards the little harbour town of Portsalon.
Beach Lifeguards Lifeguards will be on duty on this beach - from June until September.
Hours of Work: 12.00pm - 18.30pm
Emergency Contact Number: Dial 999
Flags: Red/Yellow Flag - It is safe to swim and lifeguards are on duty. Swim between the flags. Red Flag - High Hazard. It is dangerous to enter the water. Lifeguards are on duty. No Flag - No Lifeguards on duty.
All beach users are asked to take care when at the beach, and in particular:
• Never swim alone - Or surf, dive or sail unless there is someone with you.
• Always engage in water activities with family or friends.
• Tell someone when you will be back.
• Note Locations of Life Saving Equipment - Before entering the water familiarize yourself with the location of lifebuoys.
• Report Missing or Damaged Lifesaving Equipment - If you find that lifebuoys are missing or vandalized, please contact the Blue Flag Co-ordinator, Donegal County Council, Central Laboratory, The Kube, Magheranan,